Thursday, November 27, 2008

Food, Glorious Food!

HAPPY THANKSGIVING! HAPPY THANKSGIVING! HAPPY THANKSGIVING!
It's been a year full of blessings. Each of you are counted in that!
Cooking dinner this year was an undertaking in itself. It wasn't terribly difficult, just a flurry of fuss, trying to make sure everything got done. I even attempted gravy, though there wasn't much to put it on, the mashed potatoes were seasoned (someone else brought them). Things turned out pretty durned good if I do say so myself. The table was packed to overflowing- but I made sure that we actually sat AT the table for once.
The turkey was perfect- even without a thermometer. I was very grateful, it was the one thing I was stressing about- Thank you Mom for the last-minutes tips. And thank you Dad, for making me do it that last year I was home.
In memory of the Thanksgiving afternoon we used to spend at the Overson's, I declared the first annual pie party. One extra family showed up, in the middle of dinner and chose not to stay and munch pie while we ate. Other than that, we enjoyed quite a spread. I look forward to needing more pies in the future. For now, I'll be putting together sampler plates for people and eating leftovers for awhile.

Salmon berry pie- before

and after.

I used twice as much sugar as called for and it was still VERY tart, and very juicy.
The Apple Foldover- the running-out-of-time-and-pie-pans pie

After dinner, we sat around and talked and played. Our friends were lots of fun, though it seems like all the kids have decided to stop napping recently, so the consequences of that was felt by all.

Some of our friends that came for dinner- thier daddy is a police officer and had to work. Heidi is doing a chipmunk face for me, complete with stuffed cheeks.


Eating Pie with Daddy...
Shane's way of eating pie- er... whipped cream anyway- one finger at a time.


Mason is Austin's friend- about 6-9 months younger though.

and of course, as soon as all the company left, Brett checked out too. I repeatedly asked him to resist this once (he does this everytime I actually cook dinner so it's getting old) and help me clean up and wrangle the kids. That was at 7-ish. Now it's getting close to 10 and the kids are fussing at me- finally ready for bed. Goodnight all! Make the coming year one to be thankful for!

1 comment:

Hey everyone! Thanks for dropping a note on our blog! I'm excited to see what you have to say (and have a little round-about adult interaction!) Please don't put up any personal info- email that directly to me. :) Thanks so much!