Thursday, November 20, 2008

The Big Meeting

Today was THE day! (until next week that is)
We had our big meeting at the school with Shane's education "team". Ms. Margret, the teacher was there. Daddy got to come for most of it, as was Mr. Steve, the school's speech therapist. Ms. Suzan, the speech pathologist from the beginning and Ms. Celeste, who will be Shane's Occupational Therapist as soon as the new and corrected authorization papers arrive, both joined us as well. We went through alot, alot of stuff. It was cool to kind of have everyone there, comparing notes and bringing up things I'd told one but had forgotten to tell the other. Brett added a few things I hadn't thought of too- Shane's policing habits (if he's told to do or not do something, and he sees others disobeying that rule, he can get very upset and tries to make them listen and sometimes physically force them into submission- a good warning for the teacher!)
By the end both Shane and Austin were very tired. But they'd both made friends with the adults there and had some good play time. Then we got a special "tour" of the fish tank that Shane loves so much (I've posted pictures before). Ms. Celeste's husband is the one that created it and manages it for the school. They are in the process of adding an infant skate to the tank. (*skate- type of fish that looks like a ray- look it up.) They have a little vented box that the little guy is sitting in, with his "eggshell" which is called a mermaid purse, that they suspend on the inside of the tank, just in the water. This is so the temperatures can adjust and the resident sea creatures can get used to the new guy. It was very cool, Shane just wanted to count the starfish and run up and down the halls (which he does to wind down and after stressful experiences- run!)
Shane starts school on Monday. It will be a short week because of Thanksgiving, which was part of my plan, and I'll have to take time off work off and on that whole week, but I think it's going to be ok. If anyone has any pointers or thoughts on easing the transition, let me know! The plan is to eventually get him riding the bus (the driver is a member (I think) and Shane LOVES busses- for now). But for now, I knew the mommy in me needed to be able to be there and drop him off and pick him up for a while. What a wuse (how do you spell that? woose? wuse?) I am!
Wish me luck! I'm sure it will be harder on me than it will be on him. At least that's what I keep telling myself... over and over... and over...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey everyone! Thanks for dropping a note on our blog! I'm excited to see what you have to say (and have a little round-about adult interaction!) Please don't put up any personal info- email that directly to me. :) Thanks so much!