Thursday, October 16, 2008

Update on Shane

Just to lay it out for everyone...
We've been working through all the testing for the preschool- it's taking forever but we can't really skip it because the Speech Pathologist we saw didn't want to stress Shane in that way, she liked him too much and didn't think it'd be a fair look at him. But the school requires it, so on we go. They are also fussing about hearing tests this month. Shane refused to let them put the giant headset on him, so that test counts as a fail unless we can get an alternate one. We need 2 anyway. My friend who used to work there says that they have other testing machines that are much quicker and easier on the kids, but no one at the school has said anything about them. I'm gonna ask next time we're there.
The Speech Pathologist that we saw got back to me this week. I called her to get a copy of her report and she had just gotten back from vacation and was sorry that things were going so slowly for us. She and I are going to double team the doctor's office and hopefully get insurance to cover Shane visiting with her instead of the speech therapist at the school. Niether Shane nor I liked him a whole lot (I spoke to Shane's going-to-be-teacher and she was frustrated with the guy too. Apparently, because Shane only did one of the 1/2 hour tests last time we were there, instead of 2, he says that Shane will need to do 2 next time we're in. Hello! He's 3! He can't sit and look and pictures and answer questions for half an hour, let alone the hour that the speech teacher wants.)
We're also going to see how much insurance and the doctors' office can help get Shane in with a Occupational Therapist so that we can learn a little more about the Sensory Integration Dysfunction Shane is dealing with. Tonya suggested a great website for military members to help locate those kinds of services, it doesn't cater to Coast Gaurd. I guess we're just not military enough.
Our final hurdle is the worst, I think. The doctor that we chose whe we got here, is leaving. Going to spend 6 months in Hawaii and then a year or so in Australia, taking his family with him. We assume that he won't be hanging out his shingle in those places because of the short stays. There was a write up in the paper the other day but I haven't seen it yet. So our wonderful doctor, who is really good at listening to moms, calming when it's needed and acting when they're right- is taking off really soon. So, I have to get the ball moving as much as I can BEFORE he quits.
Fun stuff.
Add all this to the struggles our extended family is facing now, I've spent alot of time praying and almost fasting (Austin is still nursing- don't ask me why).
Add us to your list everyone, and know that you're on ours!

1 comment:

  1. We'll be praying :) We love and miss you and all those boys.

    ReplyDelete

Hey everyone! Thanks for dropping a note on our blog! I'm excited to see what you have to say (and have a little round-about adult interaction!) Please don't put up any personal info- email that directly to me. :) Thanks so much!