Friday, October 24, 2008

A Day in the Life

A bunch of my friends have been documenting days or weeks of regular life to share on thier blogs. While this is pretty interesting to compare your life to others, our days are far from regular. So, I decided to put our own little spin on the daily documentary... the average bedtime.

Bedtime starts out innocently enough. I'd note the time, but then you'd know what an awful mother I am, it's a bit shameful compared to most people I know. We all turn off the lights, gather the neccesary supplies, and climb the stairs. In the boys' room, we all spend a few quiet minutes with milk in our various favorite forms. I love warm and chocolate to help me unwind, Shane loves his sippy cup with the soft silicon straw- apart from that it could be (and is) mostly water and he wouldn't care. Austin still insists that his be on tap. The trouble starts when Austin gets his second wind... and smiles. (this is the part where you should be very afraid!)
He's up and over the edge in a second- much faster than I could reach to grab him. No, he's not suicidal, there's a big tote right there that serves as my bedside table with my alarm clock, glasses, book, and extra diapers; all now in danger.
You're probably thinking that he plays for a little while, goes up and down a few times to test his freedom and then crashes. You're partly right... he does go up and down.

Shane is always willing to help. No dislocated shoulders yet, but I'm sure it's bound to happen.

And he does play a bit. Sometimes it gets out of his control.
But Shane is always there to help- or get help. After a while, Shane will be ready for Austin to be off his bed. (notice sleep was not mentioned)
One of the things I hear most in this house "Mommy stop baby!"
I can't say that Austin listens to his brother (or me) terribly well, especially at night.

He's still not done... now starts the up and down of the normal kids.
What he has against coming up the same way he goes down is absolutely beyond me- but he simply won't do it. He's one to go against convention every step of the way.
Shane is a little bit easier- in that he'll listen for the normal minute and a half that most 3 years olds can manage at bedtime. He asks for milk at the most inopportune time, repeatedly. And makes a game of seeing if Mom can catch him sitting up.

Eventually Austin does get tired. It often feels like all the fighting I do through this whole process is a waste of energy that I don't have.

And they do actually sleep pretty well, only 3 or4 wake ups total per night, I think.


Those are my "angels".
(sorry about the old picture- I'm sure you know how hard it is to catch 2 good smiles, or a moment when they're near each other and not wrestling.)


1 comment:

Hey everyone! Thanks for dropping a note on our blog! I'm excited to see what you have to say (and have a little round-about adult interaction!) Please don't put up any personal info- email that directly to me. :) Thanks so much!