Friday, October 24, 2008

Shane Update

Here's another one!
We had alot of fun this week. Monday was a big day in Shane's journey. When we spoke to the Speech therapist at the elementary school (the one Shane and I didn't like) the guy insisted that Shane had a hearing problem. But since Shane refused their hearing screening with the giant headphones, we had to find a plan B. So I called Public Health, they couldn't help but they suggested the Infant Learning Center (who wouldn't/couldn't help before because Shane's over 3). A quick call and we're in for a hearing test. They were excited to help and as we talked about the preschool and testing and Sensory Integration, I really wished I'd gone to them before Shane's birthday. They were knowledgeable and helpful, and a bit regretful too- they loved both my monsters right away. Shane's testing was reletively difficult- he said the ear bulbs hurt when they were in. But it went very fast and I couldn't hardly believe that the beep-button system actually got information it was so quick! Shane more than aced it. They said he hears better than most people. Since we were there, they did both boys. Austin hears perfectly too.
From there we headed to the Elementary School and gave them a copy of the test results and spent an hour with a visiting (I think) speech therapist. She was awesome! Shane seemed to like that she had a nose ring like Aunt Christie. She was willing to play while working. She was able to firmly but kindly refocus him when he was straying. And when he was utterly done, she let him play and questioned ME about what I'd noticed about his abilities- and she believed me! That's the best part for most parents.
He had a great time. And ran off with Austin before I had all our stuff gathered up. The Speech Therapist kindly followed them out and I found them discussing the fish tank that Shane loves so much. I felt so much better after this visit! I'm praying that things continue on this positive note.

*Side story... speaking of the fishtank...
Tuesday I had a Preschool Book Fair on and off all day. I was a crazy learning experience. The timing was going to be close- I'd finish at 3:30 and Brett would have to be leaving right away for work. Then Brett was required to attend a memorial service for a retired Coastie- do the whole uniform thing and stand at attention. So the boys had to come with me to the last hour of the Book Fair. Shane LOVED it! He listened well, even though it was hard to stay away from the snack and activities the other kids were doing (the preschool teachers even mentioned how well he behaved and listened). When we were finally done, and all the new "friends" had gone home- Shane insisted that we needed to go to the fish tank (it was across the street). I tried to talk him out of it but he wouldn't budge. So we went to the fish tank for a few minutes and it did wonders to calm him down after the crazy afternoon. (I was talking to the preschool teachers after the Book Fair on Thursday- and they BOTH knew what Sensory Integration Dysfunction was and encouraged me to keep fighting. I was so excited and relieved that I promised myself that as soon as we can get a handle on SID and Shane gets comfortable with preschool life, we're gonna have to look at doing part time at the regular preschool- he'd love it there.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey everyone! Thanks for dropping a note on our blog! I'm excited to see what you have to say (and have a little round-about adult interaction!) Please don't put up any personal info- email that directly to me. :) Thanks so much!