Saturday, August 9, 2008

The Bandwagon

As a rule, I try to avoid trends.
Call me crazy but I've never been one to 'follow the herd', as we used to say.
Lately though, I've found myself, not only ON the bandwagon, but sitting in the ront seat!
I'm sure you remember the Harry Potter craze. It has an upswing everytime a new book or movie is released. I resisted that one for years. But after the first few movies I got curious about the differences between the movies and the books. Now look at me! We were on the road moving when the last book came out- I wouldn't let Brett leave Fairbanks (where we were camping for a few days) until he let me get the book. I think I read it 3 times before we made it to Sitka; going crazy the whole time cause I couldn't tell Brett what was happening in the book. (I still blame him though... he was the one who wanted to read the series and bought the first 3 books- he's never opened them.)
And now I find myself caght in yet another craze. I could put it off on my mother. She was the one that bought the Twilight book in the airport on her way up last October. But I continued the series on my own, thinking I was ahead of the pack. I wasn't.
If you haven't heard of the series yet, it's by a girl who went to school at BYU. A drama/love story (has some ok fights in it too) about 'vegetarian' vampires and werewolves living in the world today. Twilight, Eclipse, New Moon, & Breaking Dawn. I guess they're having some debates around town about the appropriateness of the books for teenagers. So, have you read them? What do you think?
Anyways, I find myself first in line sitting on the band wagon and I'm not sure where to go from here.
I would suggest for those already caught in the undertow of the Twilight books, to try The Host if you haven't yet. It's the best one yet- body snatchers and aliens instead of vampires.

I guess it's a case of pick your poison.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey everyone! Thanks for dropping a note on our blog! I'm excited to see what you have to say (and have a little round-about adult interaction!) Please don't put up any personal info- email that directly to me. :) Thanks so much!