Today, my mind has been on snow. Between the time Brett came home last night (this morning actually 5 am) and the time the boys and I headed out for the morning (10) we got 4-7 inches of snow.
It was wonderful. But it got me reminiscing.
It was wonderful. But it got me reminiscing. I got to thinking about the snow we used to get over in Homer. I'm sure everyone on the Penninsula is still "enjoying" the same amounts of snow. I sure miss it though.
The sledding games we used to play were foremost in my thoughts. I know that if Mom had seen some of the things we were doing, she would have flipped. It's a miracle that we didn't have any injuries, or broken limbs, or a concussion at the very least. Somehow we all escaped unharmed. We tried to be safe, with watcher on the bottom of the hill and the top of the hill; not that we ever got too many cars on our road.
I'm officially inviting everyone who joined in on our games of Crash and Thread the Needle and whatever else we called our shenanegans; to send me stories of what you remember, so I can post them.
For today, I thought I'd share the rules of the games I remember.
Crash: This one is fairly simple. Whoever could involve themself in the most cringe-worthy one-persone wipe-out, without getting hurt (vital- if someone got hurt then we'd all get in trouble) WON! yeah, I don't remember ever settling on a winner, we all just kept trying to top each other- though I'm sure I never got anywhere close to some of the things the boys would put themselves through.
Thread the Needle: At our house, we only had 3 sleds. One disc and 2 plastic tobbogans (the ones that could fit 2 people sitting, 3 if they were small). So, we shared. The idea behind this game was to make the most fun for everyone. We'd set our watchers, to make sure we didn't get surprised by any cars. The one who's turn it was on the disc would go down the hill and wait. The other two, at the same time, or in turn, would then try to make it past the one on the disc. Simple enough, though the title of winner went to the one who could safely make it by, on the side closest to the snow berm. Challenging when the disc lands right next to, if not half way up one side. Again, I was no where near as daring as my brothers.
It would be so much fun to go out sledding again. Even just a visit to Olsen Mountain would be fun. I don't know of any places around here that were as all enoyable as could be found in Homer.
I get the impression from Brett sometimes that sledding is not something 'grown-up'. He's planning a skiing and snowboarding trip south, but I'm not so sure where I'm going to fit in to the whole thing. I'd love to learn to snowboard for real, but spending money to fall on my butt in front of hoards of strangers isn't on my list of things that are fun to do. Call me crazy.
No new snow here. Just weeks of freakin' freezing sub zero temps. Way too cold. We'd love the snow if it came with 30 degrees. :)
ReplyDelete