I think it's hilarious how parenthood cancels out so many social rules. As soon as you get preggo or the baby arrives, the boundries for discussing bodily functions with family and friends disappears- especially when those functions belong to your little bundle of joy (and toxic waste).
It's funny sometimes, the words that kids come up with to name body parts and functions. For example, Shane has no idea what a stomach is.. it's his belly. His head isn't just a head, it's his 'noggin-head'. When he was potty training he came up with a code word for #2- 'rock bums'. He tried to drag Brett to the potty this morning- Brett passed gas and Shane was convinced (and rather concerned) that Daddy was doing rock-bums and needed to hurry. It was priceless.
But, not to pun, the term rock-bums has turned around to bite us in the bums. Austin was having trouble getting things out. I chalked it up to weaning and diet changes. A WIC appointment discovered that he wasn't gaining weight like he should have been. As we discussed his eating habits, I realized he hadn't been nursing as much, but he also hadn't been eating like he usually did either (the vaccum was clogged). I watched him over the next few days, where he'd just been doing a bit of extra straining before- he was now getting down on all fours, turning red in the face, backing himself across the room as he pushed, and taking breaks between efforst to come to me in tears for comfort. And only getting out bits half the size of a Hershey Kiss! Talk about ROCK-bums.
I took him to the doctor of course. Our new doc is really great- she's on the SAR team with Brett. And she said we had to get on this right away before it gets so bad he's afraid to go. Stool softeners and laxative suppositories were her perscription- for the next MONTH. I didn't think much of it- whatever I have to do to help him feel better. HA.
Going by the suppository schedule (every other day), we've been doing this for almost 2 weeks. I don't know if I can keep it up. Suppositories are never fun- for anyone. Today I had to get Brett to help me hold him down to get it to stay. Not long after, when the thing took effect... Austin was back on all 4s. I couldn't take his tears anymore- I made Brett take him into the other room and give him a blessing. Austin bawled when Brett took him away from me, but when they came back, he was calm and cuddling Brett. They're asleep on the couch together now.
The second part of the regime seemed to be the easy stuff. The Colace liquid stool softener I found was straightforward. 5 or 6 dropper-fulls every day. Austin loves Tylenol and Motrin, so I didn't forsee the difficulties. Like the screaming fits. The gagging at the first drop. The muocus that thickens and makes him choke and spit up. (Sorry if this is way nasty- it's way sad too.) I've tried hiding it in food, juice (which he's not supposed to have), eggnog, even soda- he detects it every time. When I force it down him, he cries and flings himself around for an hour afterward, protesting his treatment.
I know I have it really good. I thank the Lord every day that I have such healthy boys and the ability to take care of them fully. But this is breaking my heart to do.
I keep on, but I'm calling the doc on Monday to see if we can come up with another way. The goal was to make sure he didn't become afraid of #2. I'm afraid of it, and he's terrified of the medicine and #2.
Poor little man...
Beautiful Light Blue Plaid Flannel Shirt
7 years ago
What a bummer (no pun intended, just the first thing that came to mind). That has to be so difficult, for him, and for you. I hope he gets things moving soon, and without so much intervention.
ReplyDelete