I wasn't going to do this, mainly because Brett doesn't really understand why it still makes me cry a bit. But then I saw my sister, Heather's little bit and I knew I had to.
William Roy Quiner was born in 1939, in California.
His life was rich in experiences.

Shane looks a bit like him, I think.
Boy scouts led him to one of his life long hobbies, bees.

He loved his time in the Navy on a submarine.
Ever see the movie Operation Petticoat?
Dad said it was one of the hardest things he had to do in the military;
paint his sub pink.
He married Colleen McKenzie in 1959.
They would be celebrating 50 years next December.
and brought him to another of his favorite hobbies, cooking.
An interest that he has passed on in part to me.
He joined The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
as a young father of 3. It changed his life forever.
The church was the final of his "hobbies".
As his love for and understanding of the gospel grew, he became a bit disappointed that he missed his chance to have served a mission as a young man.
(The LDS church sends them out at 19)
As his love for and understanding of the gospel grew, he became a bit disappointed that he missed his chance to have served a mission as a young man.
(The LDS church sends them out at 19)
I know that he is, right now, fulfilling that dream of
sharing his love and knowledge of the gospel of Jesus Christ
sharing his love and knowledge of the gospel of Jesus Christ
He came to Alaska in 1995, a crazy choice that has benefitted is family immensly!

Part of his living legacy.
On the 13 of July, 2002; Bill Quiner died of a heart attack while relaxing with his family in Homer Alaska. I called that night to ask him a recipe-
I don't think I ever did get it.
I don't think I ever did get it.
6 years ago, a great man left this Earth
to continue his work on the other side of the veil.
He is greatly missed, but we are comforted in the knowledge
that the seperation is only temporary.
He contributed much to the world and lives of those he came in contact with.
Some would teasingly say that his biggest contribution was his 9 sons,
4 daughters and 20 grandchildren (for now).
But many more are grateful that they had the chance to know him.
building the cairn over the gravesite.
It was a blessing for me to have Brett participate in the
flag ceremony with my brothers; Tim and Ken.
all "the boys" helped build the casket from trees from Dad's property.
The wives and sisters (and Mom) did the white satin lining.
Dad would have been very pleased to see it.
I wish my boys could have known thier Grandpa Quiner.
I wish my boys could have known thier Grandpa Quiner.
I wish my younger brother and sister could have had him around during thier high school years.
(It would be only fair- Mom was WAY too easy on them! ;) )
But most of all, I wish I could be a bit more like him.

I sent a comment earlier today but must not have done it correctly because it isn't here. But the 1st time I read your blog there were no pictures and I asked about it. I came down to see what your comment was and there were the pictures. I really enjoyed reading about your Dad without the pictures but the pictures add so much more to it. I am glad we got to meet him. You have a great heritage.
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful tribute. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDelete