Quick note: these picture are not from this story, I'm sure you will understand why...Brett goes out on the boat fairly often, hoping to fill our freezers, but the boys and I don't often get to go out... mostly due to the weather. There was one day a few weeks ago that was pretty darn nice, so we scrambled around, made sure I had a fishing license and headed out!
We had tons of fun looking for sea otters and other wildlife. Then I noticed that we were heading in a very different direction than normal. Normally, we can see the trees and houses from our little sightseeing trips, this time... we could see land masses, waves and other fishing boats and that's where the definition of the horizon ended. Silly me, I had forgotten to specifically ask Brett how far out we were going. Silly him, he forgot how easily I get seasick.
Well, some of the old fisherman that I've been meeting lately are certain that if you stick out a little seasickness then you'll get over it. So I determined that I'd try. I thought maybe if I could close my eyes and breathe the fresh cool air that I'd be ok. he he he... Riiiiiiiight.
Brett jumped up to get the fishing gear set up and in the water (I've been studying this at work and can give a more in-depth discription for those interested) and that left me... steering the boat, holding Austin in his lifejacket (which doubles his already sturdy size) and holding onto Shane so he doesn't go off trying to help and get hurt; or worse, get in Dad's way. All while trying not to yak!
As Brett scurried back and forth getting everything set up; I tried to warn him about the possiblity of upcoming upcomings... he told me to make sure I get it over the side so it can attract the fish.
Boy my husband loves me.
Sadly, being so focused on quelling my own gastro-intestinal display, I didn't pay as much attention to the boys as I should have. Shane was tugging on me and wanting to be held. It didn't really hit me until IT hit me that since seasick tendencies are hereditary, Shane probably wasn't feeling all too hot either.
I have to give myself some kudos here... already resisting the urge to 'go chummin' as it's called 'round here I was sure the gig was up when Shane painted my legs and the floor. But I guess some deep-seated MOM instincts kicked in 'cause not only did I not add a contribution to the floor art, but I was able to comfort Shane a bit more... while still holding Austin and steering the boat. yeah me!
Brett too deserves a spot o' praise. He didn't flip his top upon seeing the state of his baby (the boat). Of course, he also didn't pull the lines and head home until AFTER he did a quick but thorough wash down of the affected area.
But we did turn back and find a quiet-ish spot where we could try for halibut instead of salmon. I also got to remove my layers of clothes covered in bait-a-la-Shane. Wearing only my rain pants was kind of chilly but they didn't smell and that was the important part.
Once we were in quieter waters, Shane recovered very quickly and was asking for food, soda and milk. Meanwhile, Austin took a few catnaps and was having a blast looking at the world around him! Not even a juicy sounding burp from him!
It was quickly apparent that we weren't going to catch anything that day so we headed home. While Brett was pulling the boat out of the water, the boys and I walked over to West Marine to see about a bathroom and get some prices on seasick meds. We'll be trying them out over the next few months and hope to have conclusive trials for you by the time Mom and Dad Banks get up here in August!

We had tons of fun looking for sea otters and other wildlife. Then I noticed that we were heading in a very different direction than normal. Normally, we can see the trees and houses from our little sightseeing trips, this time... we could see land masses, waves and other fishing boats and that's where the definition of the horizon ended. Silly me, I had forgotten to specifically ask Brett how far out we were going. Silly him, he forgot how easily I get seasick.

Well, some of the old fisherman that I've been meeting lately are certain that if you stick out a little seasickness then you'll get over it. So I determined that I'd try. I thought maybe if I could close my eyes and breathe the fresh cool air that I'd be ok. he he he... Riiiiiiiight.
Brett jumped up to get the fishing gear set up and in the water (I've been studying this at work and can give a more in-depth discription for those interested) and that left me... steering the boat, holding Austin in his lifejacket (which doubles his already sturdy size) and holding onto Shane so he doesn't go off trying to help and get hurt; or worse, get in Dad's way. All while trying not to yak!
As Brett scurried back and forth getting everything set up; I tried to warn him about the possiblity of upcoming upcomings... he told me to make sure I get it over the side so it can attract the fish.
Boy my husband loves me.
Sadly, being so focused on quelling my own gastro-intestinal display, I didn't pay as much attention to the boys as I should have. Shane was tugging on me and wanting to be held. It didn't really hit me until IT hit me that since seasick tendencies are hereditary, Shane probably wasn't feeling all too hot either.

I have to give myself some kudos here... already resisting the urge to 'go chummin' as it's called 'round here I was sure the gig was up when Shane painted my legs and the floor. But I guess some deep-seated MOM instincts kicked in 'cause not only did I not add a contribution to the floor art, but I was able to comfort Shane a bit more... while still holding Austin and steering the boat. yeah me!
Brett too deserves a spot o' praise. He didn't flip his top upon seeing the state of his baby (the boat). Of course, he also didn't pull the lines and head home until AFTER he did a quick but thorough wash down of the affected area.
But we did turn back and find a quiet-ish spot where we could try for halibut instead of salmon. I also got to remove my layers of clothes covered in bait-a-la-Shane. Wearing only my rain pants was kind of chilly but they didn't smell and that was the important part.
Once we were in quieter waters, Shane recovered very quickly and was asking for food, soda and milk. Meanwhile, Austin took a few catnaps and was having a blast looking at the world around him! Not even a juicy sounding burp from him!
It was quickly apparent that we weren't going to catch anything that day so we headed home. While Brett was pulling the boat out of the water, the boys and I walked over to West Marine to see about a bathroom and get some prices on seasick meds. We'll be trying them out over the next few months and hope to have conclusive trials for you by the time Mom and Dad Banks get up here in August!


*NOT the above mentioned trip- but on the boat.
Right: Our friend Ryan being crazy! Yes he always looks like that!
Up: Austin in his lifejacket with our friend Angie (Ryan's wife; due to pop 3 days ago!)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Hey everyone! Thanks for dropping a note on our blog! I'm excited to see what you have to say (and have a little round-about adult interaction!) Please don't put up any personal info- email that directly to me. :) Thanks so much!