I passed a test of parenthood today. My friend/boss Christiana came over with her little boy (they move next month and the boys will miss them hugely!) The kids were playing trains and it had been a pretty good evening without any big disagreements or meltdowns. Brett came home to eat and was getting ready to head back to work. Tristan (C's boy) stood up and for reasons unknow, threw the train he had in his hand (it was James if you were wondering). It hit Shane in the head and Tristan's mom was quick to correct him. Shane was crying of course, and Brett told him to come over for hugs. Then Shane stood up and we noticed some blood on his leg. It took us all a second or two to register when Shane moved his hand from his head and blood streamed down his face. Christiana was quite upset (essentially an only child, with only 1 kid); apologizing and trying to show Tristan what had happened and not sure how to help. She even offered to watch Austin so we could take Shane to the ER. I have to say it helped me stay focused (thanks C ;p ). While Brett went for some TP, not sure how bad it was, I got Shane and pulled his shirt off and pressed it against his head- just like Ken would do ;P (thank goodness it was a red shirt). Brett came back and swapped the shirt for TP while I ran and got a washcloth. Then we took turns compressing the wound and cleaning him up. When all was said and done, it was a pretty deep cut, but so short that a trip to the ER would be useless. But, regardless, we'll be keeping Shane up until Brett gets home tonight (which I guess isn't too much later than he's been going to sleep)
15 minutes later, Shane was laughing and talking again. Christiana was still a bit in shock, and Tristan was a bit freaked out too, but I think we got them convinced that Shane was going to be fine.
Sorry- no pictures.
Beautiful Light Blue Plaid Flannel Shirt
7 years ago
ooo, blood and all! How's he feeling today?
ReplyDelete