Thursday, April 9, 2009

Easter Treats from my Mommy

My mom called me this morning brimming with excitement over the Easter treats she'd learned to make. She sent out the recipe, which I'm excited to try out, and I thought I'd share it.

Homemade Marshmellow Eggs

First, prepare your molds. Fill large cake pan (13X9 or similar) with flour. Using plastic egg, make indentations into the flour. Carefully set aside. It's essential that this is done first, when your marshmellow mixture is complete it will set up very fast!

Marshmellows:
Disolve 2 packages unflavored gelatin (i.e. Knox variety) and a dash of salt (opt) in 5 Tablespoons cold water. Make sure there are no dry pockets! Add 1/2 cup boiling water and stir. Beat on high for 1 minute (no more). Slowly add 1 1/2 cups white granulated sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Beat 3-ish minutes until thickened (3-5). IMMEDIATELY and carefully pour into your prepared egg molds. BE QUICK!!! When molds are full, cover with a thin layer of flour and let set about 3 minutes. Scoop set 'eggs' onto waxed paper and let rest in fridge or freezer for 5-10 minutes.

Now you're ready to dip your 'eggs' in melted chocolate, or just decorate them and enjoy!

If you get a chance to try this out before I do, let me know how it goes!

1 comment:

  1. We used to drop a vanilla wafer on top of the marshmallow and then when the marshmallows are set, use the wafer as a handle to dip the egg in melted chocolate chips.

    I had lost my recipe and I was just saying the other day I wish I could find it. YAY for your mommy. Let us know how they turn out - oh and if someone gives you the recipe for easter peeps, don't believe them. You'll end up with little blobs of color on the counter. Love, charlotte

    ReplyDelete

Hey everyone! Thanks for dropping a note on our blog! I'm excited to see what you have to say (and have a little round-about adult interaction!) Please don't put up any personal info- email that directly to me. :) Thanks so much!