Saturday, May 2, 2009

Enchilaaa-daaas, I got, I got!

For those that didn't catch that, one of my favorite old actors is Jerry Lewis. My title today is a nod to his 'Scared Stiff' film with Dean Martin. It takes alot of talent to pull of a Carmen Miranda outfit!
Anyway, Way back, when I was down with the in-laws, I tried my hand at chicken enchiladas, which I usually avoid because of the creamy whatever soup that everyone swears by. To me creamy and enchilada don't mix. Well, Brett insists that the chicken was WAY better than my regular beef enchiladas (several of his hispanic coworkers say that they're excellent for a white girl. Ummm... thanks?)
He talked me into makeing more chicken enchiladas today, so I thought I'd share the recipe...
*WARNING* having grown up helping put together meals that could feed a football team, I am still struggling to translate my cooking into smaller sizes, especially with enchiladas. This is definately going to be a big batch, for a potluck, party, or the freezer (unassembled).
You'll need:
5 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (or the equivilent)- boiled until probably done
2 medium/small onions diced and sauted
3-4 small cans diced green chiles
green enchiladas sauce
flour tortillas
2 lbs pepper jack cheese- shredded
olives (optional)

Dice up your cooked chicken. Mix it up with your onion, chiles and olives (opt). Pour a little sauce in the bottom of a 13x9 inch pan (or two) to coat it. Fill your tortillas with a big spoonfull of mixture and some cheese-don't skimp!- roll them up. Try to place the seam down when you put them in the pan, keeps them from unrolling everywhere. Fill your pan(s), pour enchilada sauce over the tortilla rolls making sure to coat the edges and ends. Cover all that with more Pepper Jack cheese. We Like Cheese... Pop your creation into the oven, I believe it's 425 F for 25-35 minutes. Be careful of cheese overflowing as it melts! (a sheet of foil on the oven tray below works great for catching oozing cheese) Let it sit a few minutes before you dig in.
Hope they turn out good for you!
Now the problem, what to serve with it besides green jello and rice?

4 comments:

  1. hahaha I remember the enchilada days haha, sometimes I wish I could actually afford that amount of food, I want to make some sometime

    ReplyDelete
  2. You inspired me to post mine...
    http://dayfamilyof4.blogspot.com/2009/05/white-chicken-enchiladas.html

    I'll have to try yours, they sound yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey chicka! you make me hungry. =0) Joel and I are coming up this weekend (don't tell the bishop or he'll ask us to speak!) You guys gonna be around? Are you in your new place?

    ReplyDelete

Hey everyone! Thanks for dropping a note on our blog! I'm excited to see what you have to say (and have a little round-about adult interaction!) Please don't put up any personal info- email that directly to me. :) Thanks so much!