Two things are kind of on my mind today: Talents and clicks.
A church lesson on talents on a kinda down day has me re-convinced of my Jack-of-all-trades-and-master-of-none status. Although, thinking about it, maybe "all-trades" doesn't fit either. I can do a lot of things, but wouldn't call myself talented in any. And as I sit looking around the relief society room thinking about this, I see it apply to the social circles around me.
There is no telling what makes a good friend into a best friend. I am surrounded by my friends, good friends and great friends, but somehow I didn't make it on the list. We invite people over as often as possible and go whenever we're invited. And yet, we didn't make it into the Sunday brunch group or the long-time-Sitkans group. I'm not a Russian dancer, or a superfun city girl, or a busy 'soccer mom'. I can't remember every birthday, show up at just the right moment to help or cheer, or think up and execute all the cute crafts that everyone wants to do. I know that I'm not terribly talkative, or funny, or charming, or outgoing, but I do try. But the best parties I throw are the ones I can't make it to.
It's not like they ignore me. All are more than happy and willing to help out. They are lots of fun and love my kids. I guess I don't get the why's and how's that I'm obviously missing.
So, like my talent status- I am a friend to all, and connected to none.
And I'll be back to the daily grind first thing tomorrow and life will go on. I don't mean to point fingers or make anyone feel guilty, I just wanted to talk this negativity out of my head.
Beautiful Light Blue Plaid Flannel Shirt
7 years ago
Tiff - I feel the same way most days! You are a great friend and a wonderful talented person! You are an amazing mother, daughter, wife, friend and don't ever think otherwise!
ReplyDeleteUmmm, i don't know if this is private or not. But I wanted you to know that I did worry about that with you. You did not seem to really have a best friend--like someone that you talked to all the time. I assumed that you had one outside of the ward. So you are not a Russian Dancer (it is overrated anyway) or a Soccer mom. However, as for thinking you don't have talents, wow you are way off! (Not to be harsh or anything.) You are very talented. You are so great with your kids and always have these cute little crafts and things going on. I remember sitting with you in the foyer and making spiders out of egg cartons. I was so jealous that you had all these fun things planned. Not to mention all the things you do to help others without being asked. You are very talented. You are the perfect mom for your kids. I could not do what you do.
ReplyDeleteOkay, kind of long, but I just wanted you to know that you are talented and that you really do thow the best parties. We had a lot of fun at them. :)
Mommy-social groups are overrated anyhow. If they can't accept you for who you are then they don't deserve your company. In my book you are one of the kindest, funniest, most thoughtful, creative, nicest person that I know. You should be proud of yourself and what you have accomplished! It is no small feat to be such a great mom to 3 growing children.
ReplyDelete